Sunday, 15 May 2011

May Mayhem


It's a TV miracle! Any long term fan of Chuck will be aware that the show is infamous in the industry as being the ultimate bubble show. Rarely has there been a year when Michael Ausiello hasn't referred to the spy show's shots of being renewed as 'could go either way.' Which is why I'm delighted to report that Chuck has officially been renewed for a fifth season! This is the good news. The not so good news is that this will officially be the show's final season. But if this means that it can end on a high then so be it. Some of the best comedies; The Office, Fawlty Towers, Extras only ran for two/three seasons. They ended before they ran the risk of bleeding every possible storyline/joke dry (*cough Little Britain cough*) and so they are still highly rated by their fans.

Although a massive part of me is devastated that come September, I will need to prepare to say goodbye to one of my all time favourite shows and cast, part of me is also slightly relieved. In my opinion Chuck has been one of the most original shows that I've come across. Sure it shared some standard story lines of the underdog becoming the hero as well as a will they/won't they between Chuck and Sarah, but the chemistry and the ambiance shared by the collective cast is continuously one of the most enjoyable I've witnessed in a long time.
NBC has renewed the show for 13 episodes. By which time fingers crossed, Chuck and Sarah will be married. (Although those of you who have seen last week's episode will be as unnerved as I am about Sarah's fate.) By now Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak know better then to mess with our favourite spy couple and have done a great job of integrating the majority of the rest of the cast into the spy world; Jeffster and Big Mike excluded, so I'm hoping they enjoy having the chance to nicely wrap up all the loose ends and ensuring the show finishes on a high. It's nice that for once they can write a finale not knowing if they have to leave the story lines open just on the off chance they get a green light. Tomorrow's season's finale will be an example of this, as when filming neither the writers or the cast could call whether they would be returning for another season.

Needless to say, May is always such a conflicting time of the year for me. As indicated in my last post, I'm always excited for the May sweeps; the pace of my favourite shows begins to increase and the lottery of what has and hasn't been renewed kicks off. But another way to view it is the beginning of the end, as I know that all my shows are going to be off the screen until at least mid-September.

The Vampire Diaries crashed off screens this weekend and goodness me did it go out with a bang. Regular viewers will be aware that *spoiler alert* the penultimate episode brought not one but four deaths; Aunt Jenna being the most significant, leaving many to ponder how it could be topped by the finale. Luckily the writers had set out to prove those doubters wrong, and we were left with enough drama to wrap up some of the more tense story lines (Damon's werewolf bite) but still leave enough OMG moments to ensure viewers returned next season (Jeremy going all sixth sense...)

Sadly other faves of mine including Chuck. Cougar Town, Glee, Gossip Girl, 90210 are set to follow TVD, leaving me facing a long TVless Summer. Which is why I'm very grateful that it's the TV upfronts soon. The upfronts, or what I like to refer to as the Christmas of TV fanatics always brings enough teasers and tasters of the fall TV schedule to tie us over to September.

NBC Has been the first to announce it's fall schedule, with the biggest surprise being that Chuck has moved from a Monday to a Friday. Sadly this isn't a massive shock as the season has continuously reported record low ratings.
A recurring theme throughout this post is the beginning of the end and I guess Chuck majorly falls into this category as Friday is slightly viewed as the graveyard slot; it was filled this year by Smallville.
I guess the only answer is to find some new shows. I'm the first to admit that I'm a bit of a creature of habit. So my May sweeps resolution to myself is to give some of this year's TV pilots a shot. I'm quite excited about the new Sarah Michelle Gellar CW show Ringers.

The CW's upfront is this Thursday, so make sure you check back for some of the gossip and a sneak peak of what the schedule of some of my other favourites will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment